Custom ear protection refers to hearing protection devices that are specifically designed and made to fit an individual’s unique ear anatomy. Hearing protection is important because exposure to loud noise for extended periods of time can cause permanent damage to your hearing. This can lead to hearing problems such as tinnitus and hearing loss.
Custom ear protection is typically patterned from a 3D scan of an individual’s ear canals and outer ear, ensuring a snug and comfortable fit.
What makes custom ear protection different from over-the-counter hearing protection? The former provides much better noise reduction and protection compared to off-the-shelf, one-size-fits-all hearing protection devices.
If you need custom ear protection, see an audiologist for various options that fit your unique needs and lifestyle.
How is custom hearing protection made?
When you order custom hearing protection it is traditional to have an impression made of your ear. This includes filling the ear with material that hardens to the shape of your ear and shipping it to the manufacturer. We are proud to be the first office in Rhode Island to modernize and move to scanning your ear. We use a handheld device to scan your ear to build a digital 3D image of your ear.
The 3D scan is then used to create your custom-fit hearing protection.
Types of Custom Ear Plugs
Custom earplugs come in a variety of materials and designs to fit the unique needs of each individual.
Some of the most common types of custom earplugs include:
- Swim plugs: These earplugs are designed to keep water out of the ear canal while swimming or taking a shower. They are made of a soft, flexible material that seals the ear canal and is designed to provide a snug and comfortable fit.
- HuntersEars: These earplugs provide electronic hearing enhancement and protection for shooters.
- Musicians’ earplugs: Musician earplugs are designed for those who need protection against high decibel levels during concerts, live performances, or rehearsals. Musicians’ earplugs have filters that allow sound to reach the ear while simultaneously lowering the volume to safe levels.
- Sleep plugs: These earplugs block out noise and provide a more peaceful sleeping environment. They are made from a soft, comfortable material that can be worn for extended periods of time without causing discomfort.
- Industrial earplugs: Industrial earplugs are designed for those who are exposed to high decibel levels on a regular basis. These earplugs provide high levels of protection against harmful noise levels and are made of a durable, long-lasting material.
Hearing Protection For All Lifestyles and Activities
South County Hearing Services understands the need for reliable hearing protection. We offer the following hearing protection at our clinic:
CUSTOM SWIM MOLDS
Custom swim molds are designed to keep water out of the ear canal. They are made of a soft, flexible material that seals the ear canal and provides good protection against water damage.
CUSTOM LISTENING MOLDS
Do you want to protect your hearing while enjoying your favorite music, movies, or other podcasts? You might want to get a pair of custom listening molds. This type of hearing protection has filters that allow sound to reach the ear while ensuring that you are not exposed to harmful listening levels.
CUSTOM MUSICIAN EARPLUGS
Custom musician earplugs are designed specifically for musicians, performers, and individuals who often need protection against high decibel levels during performances or rehearsals. These earplugs have filters that allow sound to reach the ear while reducing the volume to a safe listening level.
ELECTRONIC SHOOTER PROTECTION
Electronic shooter protection is designed for shooters, hunters, and those who participate in firearms activities. These devices provide good protection against harmful noise levels while also amplifying ambient sounds, such as warning signals or conversations.
How much does custom hearing protection cost?
Custom hearing protection depends on the type and materials used. It’s best to get a consultation with an audiologist first so your hearing can be assessed and from there, a quotation for your desired custom ear protection can be provided.
Custom Ear Protection | Narragansett, RI
Using hearing protection is an essential part of maintaining your hearing health. South County Hearing Services offers a wide range of custom ear protection in Narragansett, RI, and nearby locations.
Contact us today to book a consultation!